Calling all night owls, party animals and corporate worker bees – if #sleepcanwait is your motto in life then better listen up! One of Asia’s premier city race and largest night marathon, OSIM Sundown Marathon, is returning in 2018 for its 11th edition!
“Each year we look at ways to improve and enhance the experience for both runners and supporters, and we hope to meet the challenge each time. With the return of the Race Expo and new measures introduced to shorten wait times for the Race Pack Collection process, we are streamlining the runner’s journey, allowing them to focus on the things that matter, like achieving their Personal Bests in the race and in life.” said Adrian Mok, Managing Director of HiVelocity Pte Ltd, the organiser of the Sundown Marathon.
Come 19 May, F1 Pit Building will be packed with over 30,000 participants who are expected to give the night a run for its money. Following feedback from participants last year, five improvements to the Race Pack Collection process have also been made with the collection venue returning to Suntec City.
- The collection venue is back at Suntec City from 10 – 13 May. Suntec City was a popular collection venue with participants in 2016 and organisers are confident that participants will have an enjoyable experience. To cater to those who are coming after work, race pack collection will be held over four days with the collection time extended by two hours from 11am to 9pm as compared to 2016!
- Race Pack Courier Service For up to 2,500 runners residing in Singapore, they have the choice of getting their Race Packs delivered to them for a fee of $10 from 23 April to 6 May 2018. This service is available when runners register for the race at the official event website
- Faster check-in, registration and Race Pack Collection. As a first for sports events in Singapore, the OSIM Sundown Marathon will implement the ACTIVE Network® On-Site Mobile App system with dynamic bib assignments. The Mobile App is a globally-established digital activity management system used at other renowned events like Ironman Triathlons, Tough Mudder and the Hong Kong Marathon.
- Even faster collection with more counters. The queue process will be revamped with a total of 33 counters set up for collection on-site, as compared to 20 last year. Additional staff will be on-hand to assist with queries while queue updates will be provided on the official event Facebook page.
- Race Pack Q Appointment. Similar to the service provided at some banks and restaurants to manage long queues, a Fast Track service will be available for participants who prefer to pick up their race packs at a pre-determined time instead of waiting in the queue. Simply choose your preferred timing when you arrive at the queue start point and viola!
This year there’ll also be more ways for participants and supporters to give back to the community through Sundown With Love while organisers lead by example by providing employment to members of two disabled charities – the Society for the Physically Disabled (SPD) and the Singapore Association of the Visually Handicapped (SAVH). The OSIM Sundown Marathon’s charity outreach campaign, Sundown With Love
started in 2013 with the aim to encourage the running community to raise funds for their preferred local beneficiary. This year sees collaborations with six Sundown With Love Ambassadors to raise funds for the Association for Persons with Special Needs (APSN), Food from the Heart (FFTH), Boys’ Town, Oasis Second Chance Animal Shelter (OSCAS), Singapore Cancer Society (SCS) and Alzheimer’s Disease Association (ADA).
To date, Sundown With Love has raised more than S$42,000 for a diverse range of charities in Singapore. This year, organisers will also continue to lead by example by hiring members of the Society for the Physically Disabled (SPD) to collate the race packs. In addition, the Mobile Massage team from the Singapore Association of the Visually Handicapped (SAVH) will also be hired to provide massage services to participants of the Half Marathon (21.1km) and Full- Marathon (42.195km) post-race.
As part of ONE’s continual support to foster a community of hearts and minds through meaningful contributions back to society, we are proud that Evan Chee, managed by ONEathlete, will be participating in this meaningful event for the 2nd year running (pun intended). Evan, who has recently finished 4th at his season-opening New Taipei City Wan Jin Shi Marathon, is excitedly looking forward to his next home-coming race in Singapore.
He will also be joined by popular fitness model and Sundown Marathon Brand Ambassador, Stephanie Bovis, who will be spreading the message of resilience, focus and determination to motivate runners to stay on track and beat the sunrise.
Starting with 6,000 runners in its inaugural race, Sundown Marathon has seen participant numbers increasing more than four times to 27,500 in 2017 across seven race categories for the four race formats (5km, 10km, 21.1km, and 42.195km). It has continued to stay inclusive and attracts runners of all fitness levels and diverse backgrounds with marathon tourists making up 15% of participants in 2017.
So hurry and sign up to be part of the #sleepcanwait warriors – remember to enjoy 5% off registration fees when you enter promo code “RUNONE5OFF“! Registration ends 15 April 2018.